wonderful weddings!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any advice please?

4 posters

Go down

Any advice please? Empty Any advice please?

Post  barbs13/08/11 Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:51 am

Hiya - Just wondering what you ladies would do in my situation.

We booked our wedding venue last October. I really do love it and having gone to lots of places locally, it was the first one that gave me a buzz when I was walking around.

The lady who showed me around was really nice and explained that they were waiting for the new brochures to be printed so she couldn't give me fully accurate prices for everything, but gave me the 2009 price plan as a guide. I asked were the prices due to go up by much and she said no. I asked was it like a cost of living increase, and she said it was.

In January, we went to a wedding fayre at the venue - while there I saw the new brochure and saw that the prices had increased. I didn't really take the new prices in because as I was standing there a lady who worked at the venue said to another gentleman (who was looking to book a wedding in 2012) that the prices you pay are the prices that stand at the time of booking. I went up and explained that I had booked back in October but had been told that the prices would change. She told me this was incorrect and that I would have the 2009 prices.

The next day I emailed the lady I had dealt with previously who said that I had been given incorrect information on the weekend and that it was as stands originally - I'd be having the new prices. I asked if I could have a brochure and she said she'd get one to me.

Well, it arrived in the post today - along with a note explaining that the lady I had been dealing with has now retired. The charges on first glance don't seem to have increased too much - extra 2.50 on the meals, extra 200 on the venue hire and the complimentary accommodation for the bride and groom has gone. But then I noticed something - the VAT was included in the first lot of prices and hasn't been in the 2nd.

All in all, the cost of hiring it has increased 33%. To my mind, that's an enormous increase.

I do like the venue, and it's still the best one around us, but I'm really annoyed by this. H2B agrees that the price increase is rude, but that if it's still the best place we can find it's worth the extra money. A bit of me agrees, but another bit of me thinks I should just move the venue to somewhere else - we've paid a deposit of 250, which I wouldn't normally consider just walking away from but I just think they're taking the piss!

Any advice?
barbs13/08/11
barbs13/08/11
Paper Bride
Paper Bride

Back to top Go down

Any advice please? Empty Re: Any advice please?

Post  Jes-MrsPhillips Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:59 am

I would ask for a meeting with the main person in charge. It's very unusual for a place not to give you that years price even if you are getting married the following year. My photographer has increased her prices, but we're still paying the original price..

You need to work out whether you could save more by going somewhere else, even if you lose the deposit. But first of all, have a meeting with the venue. I would make sure they realise you're really not happy with the service and information. The least they can do is offer you something for free, either a drink per guest or free venue hire...

Is always worth asking... I managed to get 20% taken of the cost of having my e-ring replated just by recommending the place to my MOH who went and had her e-ring resized... If you don't ask, you don't get!

Good luck!
Jes-MrsPhillips
Jes-MrsPhillips
Old Married
Old Married

Back to top Go down

Post  Irish_Bride_2_b Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:03 am

Oh dear, sounds like a nightmare!

I would email them and ask if the new prices include the VAT and re-iterate that you were told that if you booked in 2009, you got 2009 prices (we booked ou venue in 2009 for 2011, and they have held the room hire prices, and only increased the food prices by about £2.50), and that by your calculations, the price has increased by 33% which you find a little bit steep.

You could try haggling with your venue? This is probable better done if you say that although you have paid the deposit, you think the final balance is going to be too expensive and you have looked at another venue which is more within your budget, and if there was anyway a compromise could be reached or if they could
offer some 'extra's for free - e.g. champagne instead of sparkling wine for the toast or inclusion of the bridal suite for the night for free, or a toastmaster or something?

If they dont agree, and it is too far out of your budget, then i think you would have to pull out. Although it would be heartbreaking, its better that than end up struggling with a bigger debt, and worrying about it, or having to scrimp on another area of your big day? However, I wouldn't think you would lose your deposit as its not like the wedding is soon - i am sure they would have another booking for your date?

Give haggling a go though - we did and ended up getting a toastmaster for free and the rooms for 2009 prices!!

Hope that helps..
xx
Irish_Bride_2_b
Irish_Bride_2_b
Tin Bride
Tin Bride

Back to top Go down

Post  barbs13/08/11 Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:26 pm

Thanks for the advice girls - the new prices def. include VAT unfortunately - the old brochure had inclusive of VAT written at the bottom of all pages, while the new one states prices do not include VAT at the the bottom of all pages - this just seems like a sneaky way to include a 16.5% increase without owning up to it.
I think I'm going to arrange an appointment with the new wedding coordinator after the weekend and see if anything can be done - I'll let you know how I get on.
barbs13/08/11
barbs13/08/11
Paper Bride
Paper Bride

Back to top Go down

Post  kr15 Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:23 pm

Barbs: Your on MSE! Just seen your topic on there Smile
kr15
kr15
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  barbs13/08/11 Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:29 am

That's me - just wanted as much advice as possible!
barbs13/08/11
barbs13/08/11
Paper Bride
Paper Bride

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down