wonderful weddings!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Feel like I am being discriminated against already!

5 posters

Go down

Feel like I am being discriminated against already! Empty Feel like I am being discriminated against already!

Post  ExcitedBrunetteBride2Be Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:25 pm

I know this isn't the right forum but I guessed I would get more replys in here!

I had to tell my boss on Tuesday that I am pregnant because they where wanting me to lug boxes round and stuff. They seemed fine about it and took it really well.

My boss wanted to talk yesterday about maternity pay etc and said that I am entitled to the full amount she then went on about my contract.

When I started I was maternity cover but then another girl went off and I was told that if the first girl came back 3 days I would be given 5 permanent days but if she came back 5 days I would be given 3 permanent days and 2 temporary until the other girl came back.

Well the first girl comes back on Tuesday on 3 days and my boss said that her and my other boss need to talk about things due to my new circumstances, she said that they will probably only give me 3 permanent and 2 temporary, I said actually I was here first (there is another girl covering the other girl thats on maternity) and that I would like to be given the 5 days like she originally agreed so that I can decide whether I come back full time or part time after our baby is born. Who knows how things will work out, what if H2B lost his job and I needed to go back full time and H2B look after our baby?

I will not let this drop. I think it is unfair that since finding out I am pregnant they have changed things.

Anyone know where I stand on this?

My boss is a magistrate so I think she probably should know about things like this.
ExcitedBrunetteBride2Be
ExcitedBrunetteBride2Be
Tin Bride
Tin Bride

Back to top Go down

Feel like I am being discriminated against already! Empty Re: Feel like I am being discriminated against already!

Post  bridetobe84 Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:16 am

That's pants! I would be fuming. I don't really kni
where you stand as regards to what your contract says but could you try somewhere like citizans advice. I'm sure ppl on here will be able to give you some advice. And congratulations on baby Smile x
bridetobe84
bridetobe84
Paper Bride
Paper Bride

Back to top Go down

Feel like I am being discriminated against already! Empty Re: Feel like I am being discriminated against already!

Post  zepsgal (admin) Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:58 am

Im really not sure on the legal stance, but I would contact Acas http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1461 and speak to them about it.

x x
zepsgal (admin)
zepsgal (admin)
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Pink10/7/2010 Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:02 am

Awwwww how rubbish hun xx

I am not sure where you stand on this, i would def try and get some advice though x

Hope you get it sorted xx
Pink10/7/2010
Pink10/7/2010
Paper Bride
Paper Bride

Back to top Go down

Post  KellyC2B Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:29 am

Awww hun, employers are rubbish when it comes to Maternity. Most of them don't realise how vulnerable to claims they make themselves by doing this!

Direct.gov.uk is a good website for general information

Returning to work
When returning to work after ordinary maternity leave (the first 26 weeks of your Statutory Maternity Leave), you have a right to the same job and the same terms and conditions as if you hadn’t been absent.

This also applies when you come back after additional maternity leave (the last 26 weeks of your Statutory Maternity Leave). However, if your employer shows it is not reasonably practical to return to your original job (eg because the job no longer exists) you do not have the same right. In that case, you must be offered alternative work with terms and conditions as if you hadn’t been absent.

Discrimination and pregnancy
It's unlawful sex discrimination for employers to treat women less favourably because of their pregnancy or because they take maternity leave. Such treatment includes things like:

•trying to cut your hours without your permission
•suddenly giving you poor staff reports
•giving you unsuitable work
•making you redundant because of your pregnancy (you might still be made redundant for other reasons)
•treating days off sick due to pregnancy as a disciplinary issue
Your employer can't change your terms and conditions of employment while you are pregnant without your agreement. If they do, they will be in breach of contract.

Make sure that you keep any evidence if case of a tribunal claim further down the line... x
KellyC2B
KellyC2B
Tin Bride
Tin Bride

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down